Weekly Tangent – Beyond Gaming – 4 Cool Smartphone Gadgets!

weeklytangent_587x239
Hello ‘Tangenters!

Obviously, we love smartphones. I mean, we have an entire app dedicated to our beloved pocket computers.

And, based on the trends, it looks like they’re becoming the media device of choice for many people (consumers and developers).

Man holding two phones.

Check out this guy. He loves his smartphone so much that he has TWO of them.

These inventors are getting incredibly creative with what they’re developing for our favorite devices! Here are some neat smart gadgets that I found around the web that might have you looking at your smartphone in a completely new way. Or, they might even convince you to get one if you haven’t, yet.

4 Cool Smart Gadgets

Camera Lens
Get a lens to boost the photo quality of your phone.  This may not seem mind-blowing, but to have such a powerful photography machine (with pre-loaded software) with you at all times is pretty amazing. These lenses are for the beautiful moments… or when you need to document something to embarrass your kid with later. Priorities.

Luggage Tracker
Never lose your luggage again… well, sorta. Even if it’s not with you, you’ll know exactly where it is even if it’s thousands of miles away!  Plop this in your bag, track your suitcase and find lost baggage that much faster. This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t pack some essentials in your carry-on. That’s still a good idea.

Light Switch
How cool would it be to be able to turn your lights on or off remotely.  Seriously – you can save energy or use it as a security measure. This Wemo, by Belkin, allows you to turn any plugged-in item on or off. Hmm… there are so many possibilities! This would be perfect to a fake haunting, wouldn’t it? Lights go on and off. Maybe the hairdryer, too. Hilarity ensues.

iStock_LightSwitch_425x282

This now looks sooooo 2012, doesn’t it?

Asthma Management
As an asthma sufferer myself, I can understand how helpful tracking treatments and encouraging use of such an important medication can be.  This could really be a game changer for asthmatic kids and parents.

All these cool gadgets tie right into your smartphones. Communication, fun, medical monitoring – isn’t technology grand?

Of course, we think that gaming on the go is a pretty important, dare I say critical, use of a smartphone.

So… do you have an Android phone, yet?

Tangentially,
Mari

Tags: , , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Weekly Tangent – Beyond Gaming – 4 Cool Smartphone Gadgets!”

1. Spock December 16, 2013 at 10:16 AM #

Nope, have so far successfully managed to avoid being tied to a mobile phone I can stick in my pocket. I took out a contract years ago when my mother was living alone and I wanted to give her an easy way to get in touch. Unfortunately, right after I got the phones and before I could give her hers, she no longer needed it. :(

Now the only phones I have are our “landline” which is actually VOIP that gives us free calls to Europe, and OnStar for both our vehicle. Kind of hard to play games or use Apps on either type. I use my PCs and iPads for that. ;)

I know, I’m pre-historic and still living in the dark ages … perhaps one of these days …

• Mari December 16, 2013 at 10:31 AM #

I’m sorry for your loss, Spock. That is really tough. :(

You are such a techy guy, I’m honestly surprised that you’ve avoided the siren call of a mobile phone so far.

2. Spock December 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM #

I’ve avoided it simply because I cannot justify the expense.

1. I don’t WANT to be accessible to everyone 24/7,
    2. If I want to access the Internet, I want a huge 32″ screen to browse with, even the latest phones with the larger displays are just too small to be able to see all the detail I want to be able to see when I’m browsing.
    3. I don’t need to be on the Internet while I travel but it is handy to be able to report other travelers in distress or call for help if I need it, hence On-Star.

• Mari December 16, 2013 at 1:09 PM #

I can appreciate that. Sometimes, especially if a web page isn’t made for mobile, it can be really hard to navigate on smaller screens.

I don’t have OnStar in my car, so it was my phone (and AAA!!) that saved me when my car broke down the other day! (Also, I played games on it while I waited for the tow truck…)

Some of these gadgets also work on tablets, which it sounds like you have. :)

3. Spock December 16, 2013 at 6:39 PM #

Yes, I have an iPad2 running iOS 7 and the only reason I upgraded was to get Siri … which doesn’t work on an iPad2 …

Ah well, must remember to read the fine print next time. At least the upgrade from iOS 6 to iOS 7 was free.

• Mari December 17, 2013 at 9:19 AM #

Well, upgrading isn’t so bad. :)

I think you can use the Wemo on an iPad.

4. Spock December 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM #

What is Wemo?

5. Spock December 29, 2013 at 9:24 PM #

Is there a limit to the number of posts per blog or a list of links that are disallowed?

I have just tried to post some additional information for you but when I click on submit Comment, it just disappears!

• Mari December 30, 2013 at 10:12 PM #

Hi Spock – I don’t think there’s a limit of comments on a blog post… We do have it moderated so that each comment has to be approved. That’s why there’s a delay in seeing your posts go live. :)

I’m not sure about the links, though. Hm. I’ll look into it.

6. Spock December 29, 2013 at 9:26 PM #

Hmm, obviously not a post limit, must be the link which I find odd unless it’s because it seems to be a predecessor to your Wemo. Is there any way I can send you my proposed comment so you can tell me what the problem may be?

7. Spock December 29, 2013 at 9:30 PM #

OK, I had posted this before but now see that it gets deleted automatically before it was posted. I will try posting without the link to see if it at least gets submitted for moderation. If I don’t see it approved, I won’t post about it again …

Your Wemo seems to be very similar to something I’ve purchased in the past, called X-10.

I just dug out the remotes and controllers and set up a couple of lights in one of our bedrooms so they can be turned on or off from bed rather than having to get up to do it. Makes reading in bed much more convenient

• Mari December 30, 2013 at 10:16 PM #

Hiya, Spock!

Oh – cool! It is very similar to the Wemo! That’s a very clever way of using it, too.

I’m sorry that your previous posts got eaten. I wonder what happened to them?

8. Spock December 31, 2013 at 7:16 AM #

They got eaten because I posted the link to:

x10(dot)com

Try it, your posts will probably go away as well.

• Mari January 2, 2014 at 12:50 PM #