WildTangent Studios Wednesday – Weather Words To Use In Word Science!

Hello ‘Tangenters,

The last few months have felt like a big weather mix up across the US.

And, we’ve seen a lot of new terms… well, they’re new to me, anyway. I mean, what’s a Polar Vortex?!

A new word about something cold? With Word Science and Polar Bowler 1st Frame as WildTangent Studios’ major releases, this seemed like a perfect WildTangent Studios Wednesday post to me!

Here’s a straightforward Polar Vortex explanation:

I also suggest you check out the National Weather Service Glossary.

Did you know that “scud” means:

Small, ragged, low cloud fragments that are unattached to a larger cloud base and often seen with and behind cold fronts and thunderstorm gust fronts. Such clouds generally are associated with cool moist air, such as thunderstorm outflow.

I didn’t!

Or, that “dendrites” are:

In hydrologic terms, thin branch-like growth of ice on the water surface.

That glossary is a treasure trove in which you’ll find all kinds of cool new words to use when you play Word Science! Start racking up those points!

Related Posts:

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Responses to “WildTangent Studios Wednesday – Weather Words To Use In Word Science!”

  1. Spock January 30, 2014 at 3:47 AM #

    When I was flying with the US Navy, I had to know all that kind of thing. It doesn’t do any good to try to file a flight plan only to find that your proposed route goes right through a storm front with embedded thunder cells!


    • Mari January 30, 2014 at 1:04 PM #


  2. Spock January 30, 2014 at 3:51 AM #

    Oh, and there is no way for a normal aircraft to just “fly over” a cloud like I linked to. The reason the top is “flat” is because it stretches to the top of our stratosphere … much higher than any current “aircraft” is capable of flying.

    Why not stay warm and dry by joining us over at the Wildtangent Fansite? 😉

    • Mari January 30, 2014 at 1:06 PM #

      Very interesting and a good idea. :)

Leave a Reply